In 1927, nineteen men and six women become the graduates of the University of Wisconsin Medical School’s four-year program, and in 1928, the Service Memorial Institute opens next door to Wisconsin General Hospital. The Service Memorial Institute will serve as the School’s new academic home, igniting a new era of collaboration between scientific and clinical staff. This rich intellectual context paves the way for medical student Frederic Mohs to develop a groundbreaking surgical technique, in 1930, for removing external tumors, including mouth, lip, and skin cancers, while sparing normal tissue. Dr. Mohs’s method of micrographic surgery is still considered the best method for treating certain types of skin cancer.
In 1932, Dr. Peter Alexander Duehr, MD completes his two-year combined residency in EENT and Plastics, then joins the Davis and Neff Clinic and the University staff in 1934, as both a part-time clinical faculty member and a practicing ophthalmologist. One of Dr. P.A. Duehr’s leading contributions in the years to come will be to inaugurate the era of specialization, adding sub-specialty services led by fellowship-trained directors and thereby increasing the scope and depth of the discipline’s offerings.
In the early years of Dr. F.A. Davis’s tenure, the EENT/Plastics service offers two-year residencies. When the Plastic Surgery program separates and joins the Department of Surgery in 1935, the EENT service extends the residency to three years. In 1937, Dr. Ralph Stevens, MD becomes the first EENT resident to graduate from the newly established three-year program.